Recipe: white-castle-Type Burgers

When we find ground beef on sale for 99 cents a pound, we grab as much as we can afford. The other day, King Sooper's had "orange-stickered" a lot of ground beef that was about to expire so we picked up some for the freezer. They also had 2-day-old small dinner rolls for $1.79. When we got home, I knew just what I wanted to do. See, I grew up in Louisville, KY, where eating White Castle "slider"burgers with Big Red creme soda was a ritual on date night. So...

Ingredients:
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup dehydrated onions
1 pound ground beef
little dinner rolls
sliced cheese

Directions:
Preheated the oven to 350 degrees F. I got out the cookie/baking sheet, and poured a little olive oil on it. I added about 1/2 cup dehydrated onions, and while those rehydrated, Hubby made little burgers that we placed on the rehydrated onions. We cooked the burgers for about 20 minutes, until browned, added a little bit of sliced cheese to a few, and replaced the baking sheet to the oven to melt the cheese. We placed these on the dinner rolls, with a little mayo and my start... yummy!! Not exactly like the White Castles I remembered, but maybe if we'd toasted the rolls first.... I feel another experiment coming on! And where's the red creme soda?!?

Copyright (c) 2009 New View Group, LLC

No comments: