Recipe: Yummy Pot Roast

Yesterday I did my monthly grocery shopping. Vitamin Cottage/health food store for gluten-free things for me and VHTS, Wal-Mart for 60+ cans of fruit (for VHTS) and a few other things, and then King Soopers/Kroger for other. Found two orange-sticker discounted pot roasts and brought them home along with other orange-sticker products (broccoli, milk, yogurt, bread). We don't eat "fresh" beef very often so it was a bit of a treat.

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Use a little olive oil to grease bottom of baking pan. Place the pot roasts side by side in pan. Washed three baking potatoes and placed on top of roasts. Sliced onion and placed on top of roasts. Garlic and onion powder sprinkled on top. Very important: cover with aluminum foil (so it won't dry out). Place in oven and reduce temp to 300 degrees F. Bake for 2 1/2 to 3 hours.

Everything was tender. The juice from the roasts create a beautiful au jus (juice) which, together with the foil cover, prevented them from drying out. If I'd had the energy, I would have then made gravy from the juice but we just spooned it as is over our plates.

Melt-in-your-mouth.

I usually make pot roasts in the crockpot because it makes them so tender. For some reason, I did it in the baking pan and oven yesterday. Enough for leftovers for tonight.

No comments: