Colorful Tomatoes

One of my favorite things to grow is tomatoes.  Seeing a big bush or tall vine with colorful fruit beckoning ...  is there anything better?

I have to be careful of the acid in tomatoes but over the years, I found a few varieties that my stomach doesn't hate. The ones that seem to do well are: Yellow Pears, Kellogg's Breakfast Orange, and a tiny currant tomatoes that I can't find the name of anywhere!!

The following are a few of my favorite pics of my growing tomatoes:



Black Cherry Tomatoes and a red slicer.
I accidentally planted 2 different varieties
in one pot. Both did well.

























This is a pic of one of my harvests.  Squash,
peppers, cucumber, eggplant
and, of course,, tomatoes. Yum!!














This is a tray filled with sliced yellow
mamas, yellow pears and small red
roma tomatoes











.



My first dehydrator was a cheap round one but it worked.  I love my new Excelsior though!

This tray of tomatoes dried about 6-8 hours until mostly dried and barely pliable. Bagged with a dessicant package added, then placed the baggies in a tightly sealed mason jar.

Living in a small apartment with a small patio (as opposed to when I had the farmette in Colorado), I had to make some adjustments. Most of my gardening is done in pots. Does it matter? Only in regards to quantity ... but not quality.  I can still have a plant of each of my favorite low-acid tomatoes and as long as I take care of them, they will produce enough to save for the coming months AND provide some for fresh eating too.

How many of you grow tomatoes on your patio?




No comments: