After researching, we found out the following about miniature cattle:
- Most mini cows are under 41 inches tall.
- Miniature cattle offer a great opportunity for kids to take care of and train an animal.
- Beef type animals (Hereford, Dexter, and Lowline Angus) provide an opportunity to raise organic beef without a huge investment in equipment or feed.
- However... Dexters come the most highly recommended. They are rugged, hardy cattle. They are naturally small but not really a "miniature" so they don't have some of the same problems that overbred mini's have. They make great milk and meat, great moms, and have dog-like personalities. Dexter bulls are as easy to handle as ponies.
- I read somewhere that a mini cow provides as much milk as a regular-sized cow. And natural milk (organic, hormone/antibiotic-free, and unpasteurized) provides great nutrition.
- These are perfect for a small petting zoo. They are small enough for youngsters to pet and not be intimidated.