Recipe: Gen Tsao's Chicken Chunks

This is one of my favorite dishes when I used to go to a chinese restaurant. I found this recipe, and it comes very close to what I'm used to - and it's gluten-free! I tweaked it a bit.

Doesn't really used stored ingredients, but can still be done quite well on your homestead.

Ingredients:
2 chicken cutlets
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1 beaten egg
4 dried hot peppers (I used jalapeno)
1 garlic clove, minced (or 1/2 teaspoon dried garlic granules)
1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
4 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari (gluten-free)
4 tablespoons vinegar (I used apple cider vinegar)
4 tablespoons water
1 cup vegetable oil

Directions:
Cut chicken into medium-to-large chunks. In a medium flat bowl, mix cornstarch with egg. Add chicken chunks into mixture and stir. In a small bowl, combine garlic and ginger with soy sauce, vinegar and water (for sauce). Pour oil into a wok or large skillet. When the oil is red-hot, add the batter-dipped chicken chunks, and stir-fry until crisp. Remove. Leave 1 teaspoon of oil in wok and add red peppers. Pour in sauce and add the chicken back in - saute for 1 minute. Serve sprinkled with sesame seeds.

Note: Personally I leave out the hot peppers, but added them here because most people can tolerate spicy foods better than I can!

Copyright (c) 2009 VPLW

No comments: