- Long term food source
- Food for the bees to keep them around
- Apple trees, once they die or are no longer producing, are great for firewood
If you have even .25 of an acre, what fruit trees have you planted? What fruit tree can you just not live without?
- Apples: so versatile, from fresh eating, long-term storing, dehydrating, juicing, canning for apple butter or pie filling, and even making vinegar for pickling, digestion and cleaning.
- Pears: delicious fresh, dehydrating or canned. Have you tried pear raisin pies?
- Cherries: very expensive in the store so try growing either pie/sour cherries or sweet. We love the Ranier cherries (yellow and red). If you don't want a tree, Nanking cherries grow on a bush.
- Plums: very healthy but highly sprayed from the stores. Great to eat fresh, dehydrated or canned. I make an amazing spiced plum jam that I use for Winter holidays.