SHTF and Prescription Medications

I belong to a few prepping groups on Facebook. A post recently caught my eye. Of course, it was about the Coronavirus.... so many are these days.

Pictures and video have been circulating across the internet of how China is quarantining many of its residents, and even in some cases, welding doors shut.

I live in the United States. I can't imagine a time when a policeman or National Guard person would come to my door, tape up a notice saying that we were quarantined, and then weld my door shut. It seems unfathomable, but did make me consider the state of health care preparing, OTCs, and  more specifically, prescription medications.

I have numerous health issues including liver disease and diabetes. I can do without prescription medications if necessary... as long as I alter how I eat and how I take care of myself.

My son has uncontrolled epilepsy; he is on four seizure medications and believe me when I say that it is impossible to stock up on these medications. There is only one that I sort of accidentally stockpiled three months of, but the other three... I can barely get them on a month-to-month basis. The pharmacy just does not stock them, and other methods (CBD oil, keto diet, etc) don't work on him 

So what would happen to my son when his seizure meds begin to run out? I wouldn't be able to double up on the one I have stockpiled because it would quickly cause liver and kidney damage as well as probably put him in a suicidal or homicidal rage. So my best guess is that the seizures would start back... perhaps slowly at first. But after a while, they will increase intensity until finally he has that one last fatal seizure.

I would have absolutely no way to stop it.

So powerless.

If there's a situation where I cannot get his seizure meds every 30 days... what would we do?

Have you taken a look at your own health lately? Do you know how many extra pills of your prescription medications you have? Can you get more? Are there alternatives say holistic measures?

Give it some thought.

No comments: