Seeds Finally Started

I am little late starting my seeds but hey... better late than never!

This shows just a few of the tomatoes and the mini bell peppers that I've started. Oh, man! My mouth is watering even now! My fave is Kellogg's Breakfast tomato, an orangish sweet slicer.

Since my son doesn't like peppers or tomatoes, I am planning on just enough for me and to dehydrate for next winter.

I did however also start today some spinach seeds and various lettuces which Weslee will eat. Tomorrow I will do the strawberry starters, sugar snap peas, mini carrots, and in a few weeks, the vining green beans...more of what he will eat!

He will be able to have veggies every day, and hopefully strawberries in a few months.  

This will all supplement the food I stocked up on.

You should do this too.

URBAN GARDENING - NOTE:
I will be discussing more urban gardening this year. I have a small apartment with a small patio. Inside, near my back door, I have a setup like an indoor wire garden shelves with a plastic cover. I have my seed starters there for now, but when I can move things outside, I will.  Exception: those plants that don't need pollinators, like lettuce, carrots, radishes and herbs will stay inside.

I encourage everyone to order heirloom seeds of a few veggies that you will actually eat (I use Baker Heirloom), some medium to large pots, and some potting soil. Place the pots in a sunny window, or set up wire shelves with a grow light or two.

If you want tomatoes or something else that requires pollination, and have no place outdoors for your pots, you must hand-pollinate. I will discuss that later.

No comments: