Meals from dehydrated foods

Hiya. 


Quite a few months ago, my husband asked for more varied quick lunch. Had been making him soups, sandwiches, etc.  He needed more substance. Store-bought MREs have too much sodium, preservatives, and are boring. So are shelf-stable things from Dinty Moore and Hormel, or frozen dinners. Ick.

Browed through our dehydrated and freeze-dried foods, and my wheels started turning. I got out a bunch of half-pint jars, instant rice, tiny pasta, potato flakes, and other ingredients. Lined up the jars. ach got a starch, a protein, veggies, spices/herbs, and some got tomato powder.

He loved them!

So did his co-workers.  Gimme gimme.

Every month, I create a month's worth of breakfasts and lunches, each different from the others. My mother-in-law has also tested for me, as well as friends. One thing led to another, and I started this book about how to make healthy MREs (still working on the title ... stay tuned!). For work, camping, backpacking, prepping/preparedness, everyday use, long term food storage/survival, etc.  I even started a FB group for people to help me test recipes ( https://www.facebook.com/groups/Mealsinjars/ ).

I have sections for lactose-intolerant people (like my Hubby) and gluten-free (me). One person suggested the need for vegetarian and vegan recipes, so I am trying to include a few of them too.  Sections for entrees, side dishes, desserts, beverages, and more.

All kinds... oriental, Indian, Tex-Mex, and many others.

Have somewhere close to 200 recipes but I want a few more.

Hope to (someday!) start posting a few recipes for you to try and comment, so stay tuned! 

No comments: