Keep Your Perspective

I had been prepping since the late 1990s, when I had my baby and became apprehensive about his future. Any future. And what that would be like.

As the years passed, I read whatever I could, and stocked up a few supplies here and there.  I made it as important as my health or where we lived, or what books to write. I even married someone who talked about being on board with preps, although I later found it to be all lip service from a lazy man.

Then, my son developed epilepsy. I got breast cancer.  My son's epilepsy got worse. My marriage fell apart.

I moved halfway across the country with my son. The apartment was a whole lot smaller than our 5 bedroom 4 bathroom farmhouse with a huge workshop, so I had to make tough decisions about what to bring. Our new tiny 2 bedroom apartment had little storage space so many of my prepping supplies were sold or donated. All things considered, it wasn't that difficult of a choice to make.

Life is hard for me and my son. Surgeries. Physical and occupational therapy. Doctor appointments. Death of a family member.  All in all, though, it came down to one choice: starting preps back up, or trying to keep my son alive.

I chose my son.

My tiny courtyard has a few veggie plants, and in a small closet is freeze-dried and dehydrated foods plus "boxed" prep-water. That's about it.

Please, before you spend prepping for a catastrophe that may or may not happen, sit down and think ... really think ... about how much time, money and energy you want to devote to prepping. Can you prep without going overboard? Can you fit prepping into your everyday life? Prepare meals with your rotating supplies?

No comments: